[foundation-board] OKF Long-term budget to 2013/14

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Jun 2 20:39:22 UTC 2011

On 1 June 2011 17:48, Becky Hogge <becky.hogge at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jason
>
> Thanks so much for pulling this together. It looks great.
>
> I see this budget forms part of the presentation we're giving to
> Omidyar, so I want to make sure I'm fully briefed on it before the
> meeting on 8th June. I have three specific questions.
>
> 1) Can you give me an account of the sorts of activity we plan on
> engaging in to up our supporter income by the proportions indicated?
> It looks ambitious to me (Board members will recall that I'm
> particularly cynical about how easy it is to attract supporter income,
> and I note that our income from this has actually decreased over the
> last two years).

I think we want to organize (and allocate paid time to) a donation
drive. At the moment we do absolutely zero to get community donations
or the like and most of sites don't even have a donate button. I don't
disagree that this is hard but I don't think those targets are
impossible -- £10000 is a 100 people giving £100 a year ...

> 2) Can you give me an account of how we expect to attract the sorts of
> grant monies indicated under "other project-related income - grants
> etc)"

By going on doing what is happening at the moment: applying for
grants, participating in FP7 bids etc. Also there is the Shuttleworth
monies which cover 2010/2011 and parts of 2011/2012 (if Shuttleworth
renew this will apply partially to 2012-2012)

> 3) Can you give me your justification for why we are running a deficit
> in 2011/2012.

There isn't a reason other than this would be where we did significant
expansion (assuming Omidyar support). Given the nature of budget
projects we could simply tweak the numbers to have a small surplus.

> None of these are criticisms - I simply want to know your thinking
> behind these figures. And I'm well aware that these sorts of
> projections are to some extent star-gazing exercises.

Quite (re stargazing!) :-)

Rufus

> All the best
>
> Becky
>
> On 28 May 2011 21:20, Jason Kitcat <jason.kitcat at okfn.org> wrote:
>> Dear all
>>
>> I thought you'd be interested in this long-term budget I've been preparing.
>>
>> It currently includes funding from Omidyar which is yet to be confirmed. It is a broad-brush budget and naturally, we can only make best guesses about future income, but I think it's a useful exercise.
>>
>> https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Apfbcn6R6YWgdDJyUUNNQ1AxWWMxZmY0YmdRck1va3c&hl=en_GB&authkey=CLOlrLQM
>>
>> Let me know your thoughts.
>>
>> All the best,
>> Jason