[foundation-board] OKF consultancy policy?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue May 24 09:48:15 UTC 2011

Do we have any kind of consultancy policy to speak of? E.g. if core
OKF people want to do consultancy on any stuff that is related to
their work at OKF:

  * Is there an expectancy that they do this with OKF hat? I.e. can
they go off and do things by themselves? I have a mild preference for
encouraging people to do things with OKF hat where possible - but
obviously we want to minimise risk that people will do things with OKF
hat and then not deliver, do something sub-standard, etc.
  * Do we want documentation somewhere about what this involves? Does
the standard overheads rate apply? Could this be worth writing up
quickly so we have some kind of basic policy and some material on how
to do this? (E.g. making a request, expectations, process, etc.)

Background: Tim McNamara is potentially going to be consulting for New
Zealand government - we discussed whether or not it would make sense
to do this with OKF hat or not. From my point of view this would be
highly desirable - e.g. for official contact with public bodies, Tim
is great and will represent OKF very well, etc.

Also it would be useful to have something like this so that e.g. we
know what to do if one of our core developers gets directly approached
to do something related to something they've been doing in the OKF.

Jason: this seems like I wonder if you'd be willing to take this on?
As its a contracts / HR / money thing, seems within your remit?

Jason: would really love to hear your views on this, qua OKF legal counsel. ;-)

--
Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator
The Open Knowledge Foundation