[foundation-board] New EU ICT PSP bid: DM2E

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed May 25 16:17:49 UTC 2011

(Got to love those acronyms!)

Just a note to say I'm currently contributing towards drafting another EU
bid. This is in the area of cultural heritage content and metadata. We're
working with some of the existing team from Europeana, which is Europe's
Digital Library.

I've included a rough Q&A below. I'll be working on this for the next 48
hours or so. If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

J.

## What is this?

Broadly speaking this is about encouraging reuse of EU cultural heritage
material and open (hooray!) metadata about this material.

## How does this fit with OKF objectives?

Completely in line with several OKF initiatives in this area - including
Public Domain Works, public domain WG, cultural heritage WG, Bibliographica,
open bibliographic data WG, and others.

We've pushed very hard for Europeana to open up their metadata. Now this
will be under CC0 - hooray!

## What will we actually be doing?

We would mostly be doing community building, dissemination and other
non-technical things. E.g. organising hackdays, workshops, competitions,
etc.

## What are the financials? How big a project is it?

€4.5 million total. Around 10 major partners (we're a major partner) and
some minor ones. We'd be allocated something in region of €3-400k for around
36 months.

## Which bit of the EC is funding this?

This is from ICT PSP = Policy Support Programme. Used to be called
eContentplus. For the brave, more information is available here:
http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/econtentplus/index_en.htm

--
Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator