[foundation-board] OKFN-DE funding proposal take two

Becky Hogge becky.hogge at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 10:48:54 UTC 2012

Paula -

In an electronic resolution, we don't have to have universal
agreement, but everyone has to vote. We actually discovered that this
was, and has always been, the case fairly recently - it is set down in
our Mems and Arts. There was an exchange on the Board list informing
us of this a few months ago. At last month's Board meeting, we tied up
any resolutions that the Board had made electronically without
universal participation so that they are now valid.

All -

I do think the OKF-Board list is low traffic enough for all Board
members to be expected to keep up with it on a fairly regular basis.
However, I appreciate that it's Summer and people are out and about a
bit more than usual. In future, I suggest all emails which have a
resolution attached are labelled in capitals with something it is easy
for people to notice and/or filter to the front of their inboxes (eg
VOTE NEEDED).

On getting the board to vote electronically - I fear there may be a
mismatch of expectations between the management team and the Board
that may be specific to the relationship with OKF-DE or may be
broader. Given the resolution was needed quickly, I would have
expected Board members to be contacted by phone quite soon after the
original mail and told to vote on the resolution by the management
team member leading on the issue, but this doesn't appear to have
happened. Is the expectation unreasonable? Are the phone numbers of
the Board not available to the management team? For the record, mine
is 07967 331184.

It seems this matter is now resolved, and we have all voted to grant
some funds to OKF-DE - I hope the delay hasn't done any lasting
damage. Moving forward, since we resolved at the last meeting to allow
for seed funding to be granted to chapters and local groups without
Board approval up to a given amount, we should not have to leave a
partner hanging like this again. I would be interested to know if
thinking about the sorts of things that require Board resolution are
forming part of the ongoing strategic work. My own view is that fewer
and fewer items should need formal Board approval if they are in line
with a strategy to which the Board has given its overall assent.

Cheers

Becky