[foundation-board] Swiss chapter application update

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Thu May 31 13:15:13 UTC 2012

Hi everyone

On 30 May 2012, at 07:30, Martin Keegan wrote:

> Ok,
>
> so I thought we were in the situation where the board meeting was happy to
> approve Switzerland and Belgium *if Jordan said that was Ok*, but this,
> and the urgency of the same, hasn't really been impressed upon Jordan.

I don't feel comfortable being delegated this authority.  I don't want it., nor did I ask for it , and I'm puzzled why the board did not go ahead and decide this at the time. The other board members can decide for themselves.  You can all feel free to vote against me on this one, but I'm not comfortable supporting it at this time. It's not fair nor an adequate process to end up where I'm presented with the only option of saying "yes".

> That is, we didn't feel we were able to come to a decision, and fudged it.
>
> We're in a situation where the speed we need to operate at to maintain
> momentum in the relationship with incubating chapters is a bad mismatch
> for the speed at which the board takes decisions. I understand Jordan had
> or has various concerns about chapters' use of our brand (one of our only
> assets), but as a board we've not devoted enough time to discussing these.

If we had a bit more clarity and management around the process I would feel comfortable delegating these decisions or moving on them quicker. At present we are not presented with a clear overall strategy in place for chapters, nor does it seem we have a process ironed out.  If the new chapter process  was fixed in a robust procedue as part of an overall strategy it would be different. I think as the organisation builds out a robust management structure and resources it will get easier to delegate.

> We need someone (who, unlike me, has Jordan's phone number) to whip
> directors harder to devote some attention to the issue.
>
> As Rufus says, in parallel, I spent a reasonable amount of time discussing
> chapters / local groups with Kat and Laura. I'll write this up tonight in
> the hope that it may inform / expedite our decision-making.

If we have a strategy and a robust process already, I'd be happy to review it in advance of the next board meeting.

Thanks

Jordan