[foundation-board] Strategy Brief October 2012

Marcus M. Dapp (OKF) marcus.dapp at okfn.org
Sat Oct 13 16:33:59 UTC 2012

Dear board members,

As announced previously, we would like to keep you informed on a monthly
basis about the executive team's work on direction and strategy. This
October 2012 strategy brief
is the first of such mailings.  In this strategy brief (files attached) you
will find four documents as described further below.

We'd also like to inform you that the ET will have an extensive offline
retreat dedicated to direction setting and strategy development in
Cambridge end of this month (23-26th).

*1) **OKFN **Identity** **Statement** *
The complete Identity Statement consists of vision, mission, and a values &
principles statement. This is still a work in progress as is evident from
the number of alternatives. We aim to complete a first version which can
then be shared within the organization more widely after our October retreat
.

*2) **OKFN **Organisational Chart*
This version of the org chart was prepared after OKFest, and the slide deck
attached is how it has been communicated to the team (it also describes the
next steps of the roll out of the chart).  The creation of this structure
is a big step forward for the organisation and the feedback has been
positive thus far. Of course there will be refinement and iteration of the
details in the coming weeks.  The structure will be revisited in the
fullness of time once the new strategy takes place.

*3)** OKFN** Process Chart*
The process chart is a new document that aims to complete the static org
chart with a dynamic perspective. While the org chart shows where people
are located, the process chart shows how activity "flows" through the
organisation or how org units/teams work together. As an overview
illustration it shows in broad strokes OKF's core processes and their
governance model(s). Some processes are directly linked to org units and
will be owned, implemented, and managed by them in the future; others run
across teams/units and require more thinking about governance structures,
e.g., our ideas around "councils". This is a preliminary draft and not yet
intended for distribution. We will see whether more core processes will be
identified during strategy development and we will also improve the
visualisation
and make the chart more "digestible".

*4) **Interim R**ole Descriptions of ET members*
Following the executive team agreement to focus on general and strategic
management this autumn, we present how we are working until January 2013
(or thereabouts) with distinct focus areas for each of us.  This will be
revisited alongside the execution plan for the new strategy in 2013.

We are very happy to receive feedback from the board on the approaches we
have chosen and will provide you with more material next month, after
output from our October retreat will have been compiled. If board members
are interested, ET members are also available for calls.

With kind regards,
Laura, Jonathan, Marcus, Rufus

--
Dr Marcus M Dapp