[foundation-board] Minutes of March OKF board meeting & DCMI update

Laura James laura.james at okfn.org
Thu May 30 12:50:44 UTC 2013

The minutes of March's board meeting are now posted online:
http://okfn.org/OKFgovernance/meetings/2013-03-12/

I regret to inform the board that DCMI have decided to proceed with the
other party they have been discussing moving to, which we now know is
ASIS&T. Their mail to Rufus and me is included below.

The board may be interested to note that we're now posting regular (every
1-2 weeks) updates on the OKFN-discuss list about key successes and
activity.

Best regards,

Laura

------------------------------------

The DCMI Oversight Committee has reached a decision on its options for
going forward.  The decision was an extremely difficult one to reach.  Of
the three organizations I was authorized to approached that have common
interests and public commitments as DCMI, the OC fairly quickly came to a
conclusion that two presented excellent prospects for both an institutional
home for DCMI and exciting prospects for collaboration.  Those two
organizations were OKF and the Association for Information Science and
Technology (ASIS&T).  Making a decision between these two was where the
process got difficult and slow.  The OC outcome is to place DCMI under the
institutional umbrella of ASIS&T.

The decision was quite difficult because both OKF and ASIS&T would provide
DCMI with the institutional support it seeks, the level of autonomy and
oversight necessary for DCMI to successfully pursue its agenda, and
synergies that would bode well going forward.  In the end, the decision
came down to the economics of operations in the US versus the UK. While the
ongoing operational cost of a relationship between DCMI and OKF were quite
attractive, the decision turned on taxation and potential set-up costs.

The Oversight Committee has asked me to extend its gratitude to OKF in
general and the two of you in particular for entertaining the possibility
of a formal relationship.  While the outcome may not be as hoped, there has
been a heightened awareness on our part of the common ground we share with
OKF and OKF's ongoing contributions to an open information environment.

--
*

 Dr Laura James

Co-Director  | skype: laura.james  |  @LaurieJ <https://twitter.com/LaurieJ>