[foundation-board] Omidyar renewal & evaluation update

Laura James laura.james at okfn.org
Fri Jun 6 18:32:55 UTC 2014

*All, Rufus and I have been iterating on the Omidyar renewal proposal in
response to their feedback over the last week, and will speak more with
them next week in advance of their informal chat with some of the ON
Investment Committee on the 13th.  We expect a steer from that meeting
around the shape and scale of potential support, and therefore the next
steps. Timescales have slipped somewhat thus far, entirely from the ON
side, although we are still on track for a pitch on July 1st, unless the
meeting on the 13th suggests some alternative plan. (ON are aware of our
need for core support to follow on from the current grant without a gap.)In
particular in this revised 2014-17 plan, we have clarified the focus in our
activities (stronger groupings; removal of minor items; greater clarity
around commercial activity and CKAN), narrowed down to some key themes of
work for 2014-15, added more background and theory of change material, and
also added in some content on organisational development etc. I have
attached the main plan, and two supporting documents FYI.Morris's report in
draft has been submitted to Omidyar now, and they have requested some
(minor) revisions and alterations. We expect the final report to reach us
around the middle of next week. Rufus and I have asked for early access to
a draft if possible so that we can further improve our proposal; however it
should be noted that we feel we have a reasonable sense of Morris's
thoughts after many conversations with him and fact checks of material. It
is likely that there will be two versions, a full version for Omidyar, and
an Open Knowledge version, hopefully in a form we can share with the team
and network, which will not mention leadership evolution. Depending on
content we may wish to make further redactions before sharing. Best
regards,Laura*