[foundation-board] Draft announcement for Team and then Wider Public

Jane Silber jane.silber at canonical.com
Fri Sep 12 12:40:26 UTC 2014

Hi -

Apologies in advance for the brevity and if I inflame what feels like
sore spots in the org, but here's what I think:

1. The current situation requires some advice and coaching to the exec
team, not a Board meeting or a Board decision.

2. My personal advice/coaching is that the proper way to frame this is
along the lines of "the org is successful & growing, we are proactively
adapting to the future needs of the org and will soon begin a public
search for a new ED/CEO. This is an exciting time for OKF and we can't
wait".

3. Concise clarity that Laura is leaving and Rufus is staying are
important sub-themes.  All the stuff about what the new leader will do
once on board is superfluous and a bit destructive.  It perpetuates this
state of "we don't have  a strategy, we have all this issues, we don't
know what to do, but a saviour is coming and we will review everything
again".  The strategy & plan IS the strategy & plan until it is
changed.  You don't need to spread further anxiety that things are up in
the air.

Tone should be positive, confident and forward-looking.  Tone should not
be accusatory or apologetic.

That's my 2 cents/pence.

Jane

On 12/09/14 12:17, Karin Christiansen wrote:
> Thanks Laura. And for starting this off Rufus.
>
> Can Penny help us with the comms? Rufus have you had a chance to talk
> to her yet?
>
> I would like to try and organise a board only call sometime soon if
> that is possible.  Could someone from the Open Knowledge team
> facilitate that?
>
> Thanks
> Karin
>

> Sent from my HTC

Jane Silber | CEO | Canonical
Dir: +44 (0)20 7630 2472 | Mob: +44 (0)7899 891 943
www.canonical.com | www.ubuntu.com