[foundation-board] CEO Update 10 / 2016

Pavel Richter pavel.richter at okfn.org
Wed Oct 19 11:49:02 UTC 2016

Hi Helen,

thank you for that feedback. Answers are in-line:

On 19 October 2016 at 11:14, Helen Turvey (King) <
helen.turvey at shuttleworthfoundation.org> wrote:

> Thanks Pavel, great update as always.
>
> I would like to intro Viderum team to: http://openoil.net/ - I think
> there work would be of interest to each other, esp. now with contracts in
> the extractives industry.

May I suggest you take this on directly with Sebastian (
smoleski at viderum.com)?

> The work of the RTEI is really solid - esp. love the questions you pose,
> both practical and policy.  I do find the name complicated, as the right to
> education is either there or not, if someone is fulfilling obligations is
> another matter.  I know it is explained further down the site one drills,
> but wondered if it was deliberately so?

That is a good point; however, OKI was responsible only for the technical
side of the project. In fact, it was a commercial project, and the naming
was done by the client. So we had no word in this...

> Fingers crossed for Omidyar news!

Yes!

> [...]

>>>    Frictionless Data, and OK Labs.
>>>    -
>>>
>>>    Our Junior Designer position was filled by Ewelina Woloszyn. Ewelina
>>>    will work with our Senior Designer Sam Smith, who is now part time.
>>>    -
>>>
>>>    Shireen Kovoor joined OKI on 3rd October as our HR Manager. Shireen
>>>    has vast experience working in both the not-for-profit as well as the
>>>    commercial sectors, having previously worked for the SSAT(The Schools
>>>    Network), Heathrow Airport Holdings (formerly BAA), Balfour Beatty, Dubai
>>>    World Trade Centre and Tata Consultancy Services, in the UK, Dubai and
>>>    India.
>>>    -
>>>
>>>    Nicky Trijssenaar will be joining OKI next week as a Project Manager
>>>    for our NEXTGeoss project.
>>>
>>> Network
>>>
>>> We organized the Open Exchange for Social Change at the IODC16. It was
>>> successful and we got good end products from it, including discussions
>>> about open washing. Also, preparation for the Open Data Day with the
>>> community has started. Our last community call on the topic had 60
>>> participants.
>>>
>>> Regarding Research,  we co-anchored the research track at IODC and
>>> started a new project with CIVICUS on the DataShift  project.
>>> AOB
>>>
>>> The next in-person meeting of the Board is on 9th November, 2016 at
>>> 5:30pm. The venue is Canonical.
>>>
>>> OKI’s Autumn  Summit is taking place on 21-23 November, 2016 in
>>> Thessaloniki, Greece.
>>>
>>> I will send the next CEO Update in the middle of December. Please do
>>> give feedback on these reports, so that I can provide you with the
>>> information that you require.
>>> What I have been thinking about / what’s concerning me this month
>>>
>>> A lot of time and effort went into the presentation for the Omidyar
>>> Network investment committee. We will hear from them any time soon, I hope.
>>>
>>> A real highlight was the International Open Data Conference in Madrid. I
>>> am usually not a big fan of these large conferences and find them not too
>>> helpful for me. But in Madrid it was different. This time, I found the
>>> panels very good, I found the networking very helpful (especially at the
>>> Omidyar meetup on Monday and Tuesday), and it was great to meet with a
>>> large part of our staff and see them “in action”.
>>>
>>> One thing that I am looking forward to is the project management
>>> training that all our project managers are undergoing in October in London.
>>> We are investing a lot of money and effort in this, but I am confident that
>>> we will see improved collaboration and planning coming to our projects.
>>>
>>> October and November are very intense, in terms of conferences and
>>> travel, and also for fundraising. But I found the last month to be very
>>> productive and interesting, and I really like it that talking about our new
>>> strategy, I get good feedback from people who know OKI for a long time.

Kind regards

Pavel Richter
CEO
Open Knowledge International