[foundation-board] OKI board recruitment - update & issues for decision

Jane Silber jane.e.silber at gmail.com
Thu May 10 21:27:10 UTC 2018

Hi Tim -

It's not clear to me what the actual questions are, but I'll give it a
shot -

"1. *Interview the final/proposed candidates. *Ideally we woule
obviously have both of you talk to all of them but if we are looking at
4 people, that would involve a lot of logistics. Another options might
be you speak to the ones neither of you know (that would be Jarmo I
think at the moment and with the current top list), or both interview 2
each, maybe the people you don't know (for example that could be in
current top list: Helen - Vicky and Ira, Jane- Johnny and Jarmu). What
would you prefer and what availablity would you have next week ideally"

I would prefer to understand why it's ideal that Helen and I both
interview everyone and I'd like to understand the goal of what I'm being
asked to do (you are implying it's an independent confirmatory interview
but I didn't get that from Karin's email).  I'm happy to help if it adds
value; I'm not happy to spend time interviewing for the sake of
interviewing, or to interview people I already have interviewed, people
I recommended for the role, or people I already know.

I have some time Wed and Thurs of next week

"2. *Rufus *joining the Board - I think we are all on the same page
about bringing him on. There are questions however including how do we
manage that (clarity with him about his role and approach), and what
does that mean in terms of numbers (see below), and does this change
anything about the candidates/skills mix?"

I have already stated that I'm supportive of Rufus joining the board.
Karin states that there are questions and then lists a few. I.e,
- how do we manage that? I think we simply bringhim on Boardand don't
see what needs to be managed
- how we we get clarity about his role and approach? His role is as a
member of the Board, just like others. I don't think we try to manage
his approach,just as we don't try to manage the approach of other Board
members.
- what does this mean in terms of numbers?  I think he is simply taking
one of the open seats on the Board.
- does this change anything about the candidates/skills mix? I don't
know what mix you have been searching for so can't say if it changes.
However, he clearly bringsdeep OKI domain knowledge and vision, and so
if another candidate needs to be bumped out of consideration based on
that duplication then I would bump Irina out.

"3. *Numbers* - Are we agreed we looking for an 7 member board
evenutally? If so we need to recruit 5 now to cover Jane's departure and
evenutally mine too. We can always hire more, but we gettting rid is
harder..." Yes, 7 people on the Board sounds fine. I don't think we need
to take 5 right now though if there aren't sufficient good candidates.
The email states that the names given aren't actually your
recommendation so I don't know who or how many are being put forward.
But it looks as if you have at least 4 that are solid, and possibly
more. If you only have 4 that you want on the Board, then we should
appoint those 4 and add in a 5th later in the year. If you have 5 that
you recommend, then we should appoint all 5. I even think that if you
have 6 good candidates, then we could take all 6. Hope that helps - Jane