[geo-discuss] getmapping aerial data

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Fri Apr 8 12:34:37 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 11:58:52AM +0100, SteveC wrote:
> So you won't believe this, but, the MD of getmapping.com mailed to say
> he's interested in doing something around annotating their aerial data.
> Lots of it is down to 12.5cm and it covers most of the country.

really? this is very interesting! (one ex-getmapping person registered
for thurs, gayle gander, might be good to talk to about it....)
so they don't have a vector offering; and have tried to stick it
legally to the OS in the past. i wonder what else is in it.

and how far it could reach; would getmapping be interested in letting
social tapestries play with their london slice (pro bono or at a
reduced rate) in a way which might clear up the well-expressed legal
uncertainties over sharing of licensed data...

> Jo: He's gonna mail you about stuff
> Maybe we can put a delegation together to go talk to them? I'm slightly
> worried of scaring them off if we appear flaky.

okay, wonderful. i'd happily be in a delegation if that act would
lower the median appearance-of-flakiness in any way. saul is rather
good at the seeming-plausible-and-respectable effort. (but is away
9th-16th)

> In other news, I'm potentially doing a PhD on this stuff... which'd be
> kinda cool.

definitely, on what kind of aspect, on the collection-and-collation
aspect? it had struck me to wonder how your work on all this might in
future be supported...

-jo