[geo-discuss] Re: petition.publicgeodata.org 4 Switzerland !

Saul Albert saul at theps.net
Wed Apr 12 18:04:15 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 02:26:33PM -0700, Jo Walsh wrote:
> But Switzerland and Norway as special cases are probably ones that we
> should consider including, as they will both be very much affected by
> any EU Directive describing the public's right to access
> state-collected geodata...
>
> (unless anyone on the list has a strong reason to object to this, I'll
> extend the country list in a couple of hours)

Hi all, sorry for not participating much.. thanks for all your work on
this area - wish I had more to offer!

I don't see why we can't include non-EU states. Non EU citizens and
companies use EU state data too, in fact, they need it if they're going
to invest here. Surely captive geodata is a significant barrier to free
markets! Har.

And the West Essex Zapatistas told me that organising on a European
basis is a bad idea:
http://uo.dczn.net/index.php/On_European_Organisation

Cheers,

Saul.