[geo-discuss] Re: contacting council delegations

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Mon Aug 14 13:05:52 UTC 2006

dear Benjamin, all,
On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 10:39:38AM +0200, Benjamin Henrion wrote:
> The bare minimum would be to write an Open Letter to all 25 gov asking
> their position on am 21 and 27.
> Who writes this letter (I can, but in French)?

I'd be happy to start drafting something in email to this list.
http://publicgeodata.org/Contact_Your_Minister is a good start,
outlines details of Amendments 21 and 27 and why they're important.
http://publicgeodata.org/Open_Letter_Third_Reading - please drop any
notes or points in here. I would like to base a broader 'outreach'
effort on what we come up with as well - get words out via the open
source GIS/geospatial interest mailing lists...

> (we need to act quickly because Council works in August, they do not
> have any holiday, and they will probably schedule decision on Inspire
> within some days

It would be really great if you could find out a definite timing.

Apologies for my process ignorance, but what exactly is it that will
be "decided" at this stage? As i understand it INSPIRE is at the
conciliation stage before 3rd reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detailed_walk_through_the_codecision_procedure#Conciliation

Do you think it is the case that right now the Council are talking
with representatives of the Commission/Parliament and working out a
set of amendments which all are happy to submit for 3rd reading?
Or am i being hopelessly naive?

I had the impression that 3rd reading would not happen until "early
autumn", the last date this can be is Oct. 14th...

jo