[geo-discuss] INSPIRE conciliation timeline updates

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Fri Aug 25 18:09:16 UTC 2006

dear all,

I spoke on the phone today with Tuija Talsi, the person on the Finnish
COREPER[0] staff responsible for environmental information. She said:

- INSPIRE has not been discussed in COREPER yet. It will feature in
  the Working Party meeting at the start of September.
- COREPER does not expect to be sending INSPIRE to Council before the
  end of September / start of October
- There are two large Environment directives coming up for
  conciliation this cycle; the other one is the groundwater directive
  and this is scheduled to go through the process first, before INSPIRE.
  http://ec.europa.eu/environment/water/water-framework/groundwater.html

I don't understand why such a key stage of the legislative process,
completely designing its outcome, has to be carried out in private.
But I understand more than I did this morning, which is good.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COREPER

jo