[geo-discuss] Re: german translation open letter

Malte Halbey-Martin malte at geog.fu-berlin.de
Wed Aug 30 09:34:15 UTC 2006

Jo Walsh schrieb:
> dear Malte,
Hi Jo

> thanks very much for this. Nod, Benjamin didn't read his
> email until about an hour ago. He gave me a copy already and i
> reformatted it and added it to the wiki also, but didn't know your
> contact address.
>
> Thanks so much for doing this.
Nothing to thank, I just wanna do something which I think is very important.
> There is actually some more PublicGeodata material that would benefit from a German translation that we
> could put through CCGIS' contact network:
> http://publicgeodata.org/Press_Release_Council_Letter - probably this
> is finalised now.
>
> Perhaps Markus has already talked to you about this.
No, he didn't. Sorry, but i'm not into that stuff by now and I'm moving
to another town this days, so I can't go into deep right now.
But I still have some capabilities to do some work for publicgeodata. So
please let me know what I can do exactly and I'll see what I can do.

> Heh, i feel like
> one of those annoying open source software users who, when you've done
> something for free and out of goodwill, then expects you to do what
> they want in the same way. Sorry about that ;)

No, don't apologize! I'm not a programmer and I think this is the only
way I can give the open source community something back because I
benefit a lot from their work. And I think the limited access to geodata
is one major handicap for research work (like here in germany. we had to
pay for data when I wrote my diploma). I think your work is very
important to lower the barriers for scientific work in europe...

Malte