[geo-discuss] INSPIRE timeline; petition; irc meeting tomorrow 1400 UTC

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Tue Feb 7 14:38:04 UTC 2006

(with apologies for duplicates to the geo-coord and geo-discuss lists)

http://publicgeodata.org/index.cgi/ActOnInspire is the timeline.

Via Chris Corbin via EGIP:
[[ The proposed INSPIRE Directive is on the agenda as item 5 for the
European Parliament Environment, Public Health and Food Safety
Committee (ENVI) scheduled to meet on the 21st and 22nd February 2006
in Brussels. ]]

Chris thinks the second reading in the Parliament won't come up til
May plenary session in any case. Not being an EU-process-wonk, i don't
understand how, if really at all, we can affect the process in a
positive / rethinking way while INSPIRE is still in the committee stage.
Pointers to a succinct user guide (swpat?) would be really appreciated.

However the time to launch a petition and get eyes round is Now.
My first draft was this; it is still way too wordy:
http://publicgeodata.org/index.cgi/PetitionDraftWording

Today i'm going to have a second pass over this, also the wiki, try
and simplify the message and include more of the open geodata
manifesto points. Goal state is to get something that people are happy
to sign, that we're happy to promote, by end of tomorrow. Benjamin
says FFII will be prepared to lobby on copyright / IP but not on
broader issues. A lot of what i want to do with the wiki is an
"awareness guide" for others who may want to lobby on other aspects.

We pencilled in an IRC meeting tomorrow to sync up where we are at;

irc://irc.freenode.net#publicgeodata

At 1400 UTC, 1500 Euro time, 0900 East Coast; if this changes, will ping.
(I am 'zool' there, Benjamin is 'zoobab')

Constructive critique from any direction, very much appreciated.

-jo