[geo-discuss] Another license for geodata: PGL (Public Geodata License)

Daniel daniel.faivre at camptocamp.com
Mon Feb 13 14:06:16 UTC 2006

Hello,

I would like to inform you about another initiative for a public geodata
license: please take a look at

* http://sig.cwriter.org/index.php/PGL (first release and cooperative
writing of the license)
* http://cemml.carleton.ca:8080/OGUG/pgl (group PGL-Canada)

Despite I was at the origin of the PGL initiative, I really appreciate
the existence of another initiative. Regarding to your work, I think
there's in fact needs for two kinds of licenses:

1) one to re-iterate for geodata the success of GPL for software : the
PGL should apply. To me, it seems particularly accurate for "massive
cooperative GIS", like OpenStreetMaps, UPCT (upct.org), ...

2) one to help public authorities to release public-funded geodata : a
creative common's derived work should be the right response. It fit best
public releases of "official geodata", as it is a "nc / (n?)d creative
common".

I will really appreciate any feedback upon these points.

Yours,

Daniel FAIVRE