[geo-discuss] rejectinspire.org

Saul Albert saul at twenteenthcentury.com
Wed Feb 15 07:29:30 UTC 2006

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 08:45:49AM -0800, Jo Walsh wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 04:33:12PM +0100, Benjamin Henrion wrote:
> > Garand <Michel.Garand at frankfurt-oder.de> [060214]:
> > > what is the alternative to inspire? to change it or do without it or
> >
> > First, get rid of Inspire in its actual form. It is nearly impossible to
> > change it, since no amendments are possible in second reading, only
> > amendments voted by EP in first reading can be put forward. I need to
> > have a look at the amendments of 1st reading, but I did not see anything
> > about "Public Domain" or other copyleft licencing.
>
> On the one hand a lot of good thinking by good people has gone into
> the construction of INSPIRE and its surrounding efforts and projects
> over a period of 10 years, if one includes the GI2000 effort that fell
> off the map when the entire European Commission had to resign for
> corruption reasons back in 1999.

Hi Jo, that was a really excellent summary of lots of the issues. Next
weekend I could try help assembling this into a single nice doc,
organising what you've just poured into that last mail under the
following headings, which I just culled from that very informative
summary:

- History of INSPIRE

- Problems with INSPIRE

- Alternatives to INSPIRE

- What INSPIRE might make impossible

I'd love to send this to mailing lists as a covering letter to the
invitation... just no time to assemble it right now...

s.