[geo-discuss] compressed version of the analysis of second reading amendments

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Tue Mar 14 22:16:06 UTC 2006

dear Rufus, thanks for the rhetorical jumpstart.

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 09:40:25AM +0000, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> >Amendment 21 (both searching and viewing of public geodata should be
> >free of cost) +
> -> (?) Search of and access to public geodata to be free of cost

this is is discovery (search) and view, not "access".

> >Amendment 22 (view services should be made freely available) +
> >Where the Council version reads, in regards to view, download and
> >transformation services,
> >    Such services may be covered by disclaimers, click-licenses or
> >    licenses
> >This amendment removes the reference to licenses, shortening Article
> >14(3) just to read disclaimers or click-licenses.
>
> This seems pretty minor (what is the difference between licenses and
> click-licenses). Also the actual subject matter does not seem that
> directly related to the summary (view services should be made freely
> available)

I think this *is* important, but it's reading between the lines to
suggest that click-licenses will be free of cost, so i would drop this
easily. I'm glad i went back to re-check the docs, as Amendments 36-43
were published yesterday and i thought they were all to do with the
thematic appendices, but they're not and a couple are also potential
show-stoppers for us.

Amendment 37 (Restricting availability of discovery services on the
basis of appropriate software)

This adds a clause to recital 18 stating that discovery (search)
services for public geodata should only be freely available for data
sets
[[
    For which the level of detail achieved using available software is
    sufficient for the visual representation of spatial data
]]
Given that visual representation is not relevant for discovering
information about what data exists; that 'available' and 'sufficient'
are not described; this amendment will suppress sharing of data
between agencies as well as to the public.

Amendment 2 re-inserts the clause that "view services" should be freely
available, that is missing from this Amendment. Accepting Amendment 2
implies rejecting Amendment 37.

Amendment 41 (Access subject to intellectual property rights)

This adds a clause which states that the conditions relating to
availability and re-use of data in INSPIRE will be considered "subject
to intellectual property rights"

i need to go back and look at 5.2.b but i really need to go and
attempt to get on a plane *right now* and should be around from about
3,4 pm eu time tomorrow... sorry... i updated the word drafts with
your tweaks, Rufus, latest versions at
 http://okfn.org/geo/pgrelease/inspire_amendments_appendix.sxw
 http://okfn.org/geo/pgrelease/geodata_pricing_policy_appendix.sxw

cheers