[geo-discuss] Free data 'unacceptable'

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Nov 24 11:27:48 UTC 2006

Benjamin Henrion wrote:
> http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1954152,00.html
>
> "This amends several clauses to take into account "the need to protect
> the financial viability of public authorities, in particular those who
> have a duty to raise revenue". Paragraphs allow member states to
> ensure that Inspire's measures are "feasible and proportionate in
> terms of their likely costs and benefits". Public authorities will be
> allowed to apply charges for "very large volumes of real-time data"
> and suspend access to data as an emergency measure."

So there's plenty to fight for at the national level then! Remember
INSPIRE will need to be 'transposed' into each national law and any
optionality is another chance for change the legislation as well as an
opportunity to make the case for the social and commercial benefits of
open geodata.

I also would like say (as I did when I spoke with the Guardian) that all
in all this has been a tremendous success. Ok we didn't manage to
achieve a total u-turn in European geodata policy but

(a) we can do that next time :)
(b) If anything INSPIRE *is* an improvement over the status quo
(non-open/unfree geodata is currently the norm across Europe)

What we did achieve with a campaign that was zero-budget, entirely
dependent on spare bits volunteers' time, and only started when the
directive was already at second reading was:

1. A petition that was signed by over 7000 citizens from across the EU

2. Letters to MEPs and national ministries making the case for open
geodata along with personal contact with many of the parties involved
(MEPs, civil servants etc). This will stand us in good stead in the
future and likely had some impact on the compromise that was eventually
reached.

3. The dissemination and analysis of a large amount of information about
what was happening (particular credit to you here Benjamin)

So let's be proud of what we achieved and prepare ourselves to take the
campaign on to the national level.

Regards,

Rufus