[geo-discuss] stopDWG

Piergiorgio Cipriano pg.cipriano at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 15:41:33 UTC 2006

Paolo,
I know the problem of OpenDWG is quite hot at this time (and problems
related to 2.1.0 libraries not available).
I also do think that the problem of users is not how much a converter costs
(some of them cost less than 70€).
I think the real problems are little bit larger than having a
documented/supported/clean/... file format:

   - are public admin allowed to charge money for their base maps?
   - is the cost of data really related to the medium (as should be) or
   is it related to the extent (as in the Provincia di Ferrara example)?
   - is DWG enough for GI users? (many of them are practitioners using
   mainly CAD sw)

I am probably moving the focus of your discussion towards another point:
sorry for that, but I really think we need to enlarge the discussion, also
because now we (european) must face with something called "INSPIRE
directive".

pg

Piergiorgio Cipriano
pg.cipriano at gmail.com