[geo-discuss] Geodata in CKAN and collaboration (was Re: Responding to the consultation on opening Ordnance Survey's data)

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Sat Feb 6 15:50:36 UTC 2010

dear all,

On 06/02/2010 13:32, Jonathan Gray [jonathan.gray at okfn.org] wrote:
>    (i) If anyone is interested in joining a small informal group
> focusing on CKAN's support for geodata and geospatially referenced
> data - please drop me a line!

Also to note - I'm planning to draft a funding proposal on using open
geodata to link and integrate research data, which could take in minimal
metadata for CKAN packages of geodata, as well as OpenSearch Geo, and
involve several projects implementing the same interfaces.

Now I'm thinking of GeoCommons.com which has done a lot in the way of
minimal metadata and simple API search. How much free value can be
extracted from it or given back to it?

I had a play around with the uploader. I'm wondering about the lack of
licensing clarity in GeoCommons.

I uploaded a test shapefile that I found in a django test directory.
There were options to add metadata describing where the data came form,
original source URLs, source authors and maintainers.
I wasn't asked to add a description of data openness.

In the boilerplate of the website there is a statement that "This data
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License".
I wasn't asked to agree to this license while uploading data.

The upload app has a lovely second phase where you are prompted to join
this dataset to a number of in-built boundary files, or to geocode it by
picking the columns with addresses or placenames in, for better instant
gratification analysis visuals.

However some of the sets of pre-cut boundary shapes are from gadm.org -
the GADM download page states "This dataset is freely available for
academic and other non-commercial use. Redistribution, or commercial
use, is not allowed without prior permission."

Now this is not the first time I have seen GADM redistributed under an
open license. But it would be good to be clear - there are some
applications in which data openness is not negotiable.

Also, like Oscar, I would like to be able to search a geodata collection
at shape level, not just package level.

cheers,

jo