[geo-discuss] Geodata in CKAN and collaboration (was Re: Responding to the consultation on opening Ordnance Survey's data)

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Sun Jan 24 00:52:07 UTC 2010

dear all,

Apologies for the spam just now.

I realise I talked about closing this list down, it had its day etc.
I thought this might be worth circulating, though.

I've talked with a few people recently about ways of bootstrapping
collaboration on innovative geo stuff and improving the package metadata
and creating downloadable packages for entries on CKAN.net.

Thinking about simple plugins to add richer metadata to geodata, and to
add some more structured location data to packages generally.
The CKAN instance at http://www.data.gov.uk/ has location names and some
indicators of "geographic granularity" for data sets.

I've been speculating about adding linked to gazetteers, ideally
available in RDF, like the geonames semantic web service - e.g.
http://sws.geonames.org/2638360/about.rdf
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Location_in_CKAN

Jonny started a Working Group page for geodata on the wiki:
http://wiki.okfn.org/wg/geodata

This should be a way to share knowledge as well as data. There would be
a focus at least initially on making sure that valuable and widely
re-used data was in the registry, well-documented, downloadable.

I guess we could re-use this hibernating mailing list for it rather than
starting a new one and closing this one?!

be well,

jo