velichka.dimitrova at cantab.net
Mon Jan 16 11:11:49 UTC 2012
I would like to draw your attention to the current Apps4Climate
competition announced by the World Bank and ask you whether you would
consider joining the Open Economics/Open Energy group in preparing a
submission. Here is a short summary of the most relevant competition
- Each Software Application must be related to climate change, either
to raise awareness, measure progress, or to help in some way to
address the development challenges of climate change.
- Each Software Application must make use of one or more of the
datasets listed in the World Bank Data Catalog (data.worldbank.org) or
Climate Change Knowledge Portal
- Submissions may be any kind of software application, be it for the
web, a personal computer, a mobile handheld device, console, SMS, or
any software platform broadly available to the public.
- The Competition Period ends on March 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM EST.
Here are some ideas that are worth investigating:
- We could do an app, which visualises different energy indicators for
all countries from the World Bank database, as in
- We could also use geo-spatial data on deforestation and build a
world map, which tracks changes in forest area and land use as well as
carbon dioxide emissions. There has been a project by the European
Commission just for forest area change and just for Europe:
http://efdac.jrc.ec.europa.eu/viewer/. I am not aware of a project for
an app, which includes the whole world.
Is there anyone else working on this? If there are enough human
resources we could even prepare two submissions.
Looking forward to hear from you,
Open Economics/Open Energy Working Group
More information about the geo-discuss