[geo-discuss] switch2osm.org launched today

Vidar Hokstad vidar at hokstad.com
Wed Jan 25 22:57:19 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 10:44 PM, Harry Wood <mail at harrywood.co.uk> wrote:

> Please take a look and let me now what you think. Hopefully all you
> OpenKnowledge folks are familiar with and supportive of OpenStreetMap.
> Please help us to launch this website by passing on the URL to this new
> website, to developers, or any tech press contacts who might be interested
> (something OKFN can help us with more formally perhaps?)

The license makes OSM totally unusable to me and a lot of other people, and
in fact I find it's existence a problem as it makes it pretty infeasible to
get traction for truly open mapping.

IMHO your section on licensing is also misleading, as the Open Database
License makes this situation *worse* for most people by forcing people to
share the underlying data too, not just the tiles, in situations where they
might be deemed to have created derivative works. I know of several
companies that will either be in violation of the license or be forced to
open datasets they contractually can't open at that time if they keep using
OSM.

So count me as definitively not supportive of OSM as long as the license
remains as restrictive as it is.

Vidar