[geo-discuss] switch2osm.org launched today

Vidar Hokstad vidar at hokstad.com
Thu Jan 26 16:32:30 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Harry Wood <mail at harrywood.co.uk> wrote:

> Wow. That response was more negative than anything I had expected.
>
> If you want to continue that discussion, let's take it private. I'm not
going to post more about it to the list other than this reply.

I posted that response because one of the reasons I'm on *this* mailing
list is because I do rely on data made available under a license that
actually is permissive, and personally I found statements about the
licensing on the website you mentioned inappropriate and misleading. The
OSM license is pretty high on my "pet hates" list because I have first hand
experience that it through OSM is effectively acting as a barrier to
getting GIS data released under more permissive licenses because OSM is the
"convenient" target for such releases.

To bring this back to something with more relevance to this mailinglist:
There's previously been discussions on this list about attempting to expand
into generating / collecting vector datasets under a more permissive
license. If anyone wants to try to kick that off again, I'd love to be part
of that.

Regards,
Vidar