[humanities-dev] Substance Collaboration

Michael Aufreiter ma at zive.at
Thu Apr 12 14:59:29 UTC 2012

Hey OKFN guys! :)

I'm following your work on TEXTUS with curiosity, since with Substance we're literally trying to solve the same sort of problems.

Just wanted to let you know, what we're up to, in order to contribute to the discussion about what's the best way to collaboratively work with text and annotations. :)

There's three dedicated projects we're working on right now:

Operational Transformations:

Tim is doing an incredible job with the creation of a Javascript OT implementation to power our editor one day.

Check out the demos:
  http://stormy-meadow-4893.herokuapp.com/visualization/
  http://stormy-meadow-4893.herokuapp.com/codemirror/ - realtime coding

Substance Composer

This is my part. The goal is to build a truly flexible (and extendable) editing component, not just for Substance, but for all applications that need a content composition tool for collaborative editing.

- https://github.com/substance/composer
- http://substance.io/michael/composer
- https://github.com/substance/composer/issues/2   -> Our take on Annotations

Data.js 0.6.0

Also I just released a new version (0.6.0) of Data.js today, which is powering Substance. We stripped it down to the bare minimum and polished the API. Would love to hear your thoughts about it.

http://github.com/michael/data

Cheers from Washington DC,

-- Michael

http://mapbox.com · http://substance.io · http://quasipartikel.at