[humanities-dev] Federated ID for TEXTUS

Jonathan Gray j.gray at cantab.net
Thu Feb 23 08:35:07 UTC 2012

Unless we can making signing up with OpenID *really* unbelievably
streamlined and easy, my vote would be for rolling our own. I would
guess that users of sites like OpenPhilosophy.org will probably not
have much technical experience and OpenID sign in could be a barrier.

J.

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:36 PM, Tom Oinn <tom.oinn at okfn.org> wrote:
> To use TEXTUS users are going to have to identify themselves (or at
> least to use most of its interesting features). Do we have a
> preference for how this happens? This is just how we acquire the user
> ID and verify it, not where the user's data is stored, a few options
> would be:
>
> OpenID - widely used, anyone with a Google or Yahoo! account has an
> OpenID even if they don't know it
> Facebook Connect - authenticate against facebook accounts, never used
> this but it's an option
> Roll our own - more hassle, users have to remember logins and
> passwords specific to this system, they'll inevitably end up using the
> same ones as they use for the email accounts, we have to verify
> accounts etc
>
> As you might have guessed I'm in favour of OpenID or, if we must,
> rolling our own. I have a strong objection to Facebook Connect due to
> that company's cavalier attitude towards privacy, user data etc, but
> it does work for this kind of thing. Of course, if someone were to
> turn round and point out a cross-OKFN standard way of doing this
> that'd be even better.
>
> Tom

Jonathan Gray
http://jonathangray.org