[humanities-dev] API docs etc for Textus

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Jun 18 17:37:33 UTC 2012

On 18 June 2012 15:15, Tom Oinn <tom.oinn at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hi Rufus,
>
> The API could do with more documentation, but it's something of a
> moving target at the moment. The source is commented but I'm aware
> that's not the same as a proper overview.
>
> The domain model is partially documented in the import specification,
> and the tools act as examples up to a point. There could certainly be
> more though.

Could we get some docs sooner rather than later then? The basic docs
for pybossa only took me 1-2h to write and a diagram or 2 would be
fantastically useful.

> At the moment we're not using github issues to plan work - it's mostly
> done by Sam and I chatting, or by dialogue at events such as the
> biblioHack (which was excellent and extremely useful btw). There's
> less visible planning than some projects simply because thus far I've
> been the only developer so the easy route is to plan on bits of
> paper... So there is quite a lot of coordination happening but it's
> almost entirely through mechanisms which leave no trace (skype, face
> to face chats in Indigo primarily). That and feedback on the weekly
> openAcademia calls which should be accumulating etherpad trails IIRC.

Could it leave a few more traces in say github issues. It would only
take a few minutes and would mean that an outsider like me could get a
much better idea of what's going on, what I could use and where I
could contribute.

> I'm planning to write up a blog post today explaining how we're going
> to deal with bibliographic references across Textus, I'm expecting
> that and personalisation to consume at least the next couple of weeks
> of time up to the next workshop(s).

That's great to hear. Perhaps this could start out as a github issue
(it uses markdown as well!) and then we could discuss.

Rufus