[iRail] AC Transit API available

flo orangeman at teleportr.org
Wed Aug 18 15:02:03 UTC 2010

Yes their API looks messy!
Personally I like the clean design of the irail much more but don't
know Linda Morris - just forwarded her post on the transit-developers
list.

"Generally" I've the feeling that train/transit companies are very
reluctant to provide live APIs or at least limit the access to them.
But more and more agencies just provide the whole data set for
download http://www.gtfs-data-exchange.com/agencies because the
want(!) to appear in gmaps and don't want to host api servers
themselves. google did rename the "g" in gtfs. it now stands for
"general". so maybe this already becomes kind of a standard exchange
format. iirc opentripplaner.org (graphserver) can be feeded gtfs data
and compute connections to answer requests. May be this is something
to think about adding iRail API to some (free) gtfs-compatible
timetable-routing-engines..?

flo