[iRail] first alpha homepage design

C. Versieux christophe.versieux at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 13:20:34 UTC 2010

2010/11/28 Jan Fabry <jan.fabry at monkeyman.be>

> Questions for clarification (I could not find this in the list archives, or
> the wiki):
>
>  - BeTrains is "marketed" as one application, running on different
> platforms? Or as a group/family of applications, running on different
> platforms? The difference would be that one could expect more strict
> "quality control" (similar UI, similar features) when you say it is one
> application.

Yes, you are right. I totally agree with the quality control. for the UI,
that will be quite difficult.
I tried to create guidelines:
http://project.irail.be/cgi-bin/trac.fcgi/wiki/UserInterfaceGuidelines
We tried to follow them for the Bada/iPhone app trying to mix the specific
OS guidelines and the BeTrains guidelines.
But in the opposite, the WP7 is great and it will be very hard to follow
these guidelines.

As we are providing applications for all transportations mode in the future
( taxi, buses, subway, planes) and several countries we needed a name, or a
brand that would identify easily. That is the purpose of the application.
As BeTrains was the name of the Android application a long time before I
knew the iRail team, we decided that we could keep this name and port it to
a lot of platforms. So expect to have  DeTrains, FrTaxi, NlPlanes in the
future.

>  - BeTrains is the name of the application, but iRail is still the name of
> the mobile site? Or is iRail only the name of the API?

At the top of all these applications, we have iRail that is the main name
for the group, the Non Profit Organisation, the API, and everything
"global".
I don't like this name personnaly, because it refers to one OS (i = all the
Apple iStuff) and one transport mode (rail) but, OK, we don't discuss
anymore, that's an historical name that all the press begin to use more and
more frequently.

>  - NeTrains is for the Netherlands? Or follow the convention and use
> NlTrains? NE is the country code for Niger, and they have big plans [
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_in_Niger#Railway ] :-)

You are right, we need to use NlTrains.