[iRail] Using Miet 1: iRail.be 3.0

Greet Derudder greet at pimpajoentje.be
Mon Nov 21 21:16:41 UTC 2011

Hello everyone!

So here's what I'm thinking. Some of the things Pieter is naming in his
e-mail have actually occurred to me too while using the website, and I like
where he's going with it. But I've taken another look at the website and
purely design-wise, I think it's ok for now. It's not the most fantastic
mobile website in the history of mobile websites, but it's really not bad,
it does the job and it looks good. What could be changed is the
functionality, but a redesign of iRail.be is in my opinion not a priority
if we're thinking about what Miet could do.

>From the perspective of someone who looks more at the design side of things
than the code behind it (because unfortunately I don't know much about
that), and also keeping the whole branding thing in mind (iRail as a
brand/identity vs. iRail.be as the website in se), I think what we could
use most is a complete rethinking of the iRail style guide (huisstijl).
Because we don't really have one actually, and a clear and recognisable
brand identity is in my opinion almost just as important as the quality of
the products. (When I say style guide, I mean a logo, colors, fonts, and
other design elements that need to be uniform across the used media, but
also the concept/mission behind iRail, its values, goals, ... An example is
the style guide of Ghent
University<http://www.ugent.be/nl/werken/organisatie/huisstijl>,
documented in detail on their website.)

If there is a style guide, it can easily be applied to everything that
sends out the message "hello, we're iRail and this is who/what we are": the
logo (!!), websites (irail.be, npo.irail.be, blog.irail.be, ...), letters,
invoices and other administrative paperwork, business cards (!), powerpoint
presentations, stickers and other merchandising, ... I personally think the
importance of a uniform style in any and all communication cannot be
stressed enough, it's what makes people remember and recognise iRail and
what helps them get a first idea of what iRail is. (And coincidentally, it
will also make life easier for other iRail people who won't have to come up
with a new design for everything they do, from letters to powerpoint
presentations and so on.)

I think now that Miet is here, it is the perfect opportunity to tackle this
task, and in the long run iRail could really benefit from Miets help in
this department! :-)

Best wishes,

Greet