[iRail] GTFS feed for NMBS/SNCB: working on an updated publishing strategy

Pieter Colpaert pieter at iRail.be
Wed Jul 27 09:27:47 UTC 2016

Hi all,

We are updating the frequency in which we publish our GTFS feeds and are
running the first tests, as we noticed that scraping once a year is not
enough: small updates happen throughout the year.

What's going to happen now:

At the end of the month (28th-29th), we're now going to scrape a new
GTFS file for the month itself and the following 3months. Each month
we're going to publish a new version with a filename that looks like
this: http://gtfs.irail.be/nmbs/nmbs-{year}-{month}.zip. When we are
confident that these new feeds (which are not too much different than
the current 2016 feed) are stable, we're going to adapt the
nmbs-latest.zip link to the last zip file we scraped and also update our
GTFS-RT.

What can you do for us:

  * Does this process work for you? Should we have a smaller or bigger
overlapping time interval?
  * Give us feedback on the GTFS dump we generated yesterday:
http://gtfs.irail.be/nmbs/nmbs-2016-07.zip. What are we doing right,
what are we doing wrong? Please provide us with feedback on this
repository using github over here:
https://github.com/iRail/brail2gtfs/issues (there are already some
issues open which we will fix soon, and some which have lower priority
for the time being).

Kind regards,

Pieter