[kforge-dev] random q re python templating systems

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Mon Sep 19 15:22:03 UTC 2005

progress++

i have a semi-relevant question. I've been using the cheetah
templating system - http://www.cheetahtemplate.org/docs/

i just discovered a absolutely show-stopping bug involving it, where in
version 0.9.16 they have *changed* the way objects which are of subclasses of
'dict' are looked at through templates, that interacts very badly with
my magical RDF objects.

i can't distribute something which says, "oh, but make sure you use
the previous version of this dependency, not the latest one."
I'm wasting time trying to produce the simplest possible test case
that shows the bug outside of the rdfobject mapper, for them.

but this whole experience has put me off cheetah a bit. I picked it
because there didn't seem to be a better category killer when i
started with python. I don't really need most of its complexity.

Does anyone here have a better recommendation for a standalone
python templating engine that is actually stable, ideally simpler,
that i can move to before it becomes too much of a PITA to port
cheetah templates?

-jo