[kforge-dev] making branches, etc.

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftwarefoundation.org
Mon Nov 20 19:58:11 UTC 2006

Dear All,

Further to an offline discussion about making branches:

To be clear, I strongly disagree with the proposal to branch except for
bug fixes to released versions and the occaisional short-lived
build-one-to-throw-one-away spike experiment, because it violates
CONTINUOUS INTEGRATION, one of the critical agile practices.

I should also say, just in case there is any
confusion about the applicability of such practices to small Free
Software projects, be very sure: the concerns and propositions of the
agile approach are dimensionless, and apply to large and small project
(albeit with some variation) including projects with only two or three
people.

Texts about continuous integration:
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ContinuousIntegration
http://www.extremeprogramming.org/rules/integrateoften.html
http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/continuousIntegration.html
"The essence of it lies in the simple practice of everyone on the team...."

Python continuous integration system (let's start using this):
http://buildbot.sourceforge.net/

Python itself being tested by buildbot:
http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/trunk/

Bye for now,