[kforge-dev] Possible memory leak problem related to modpython

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Jan 24 18:47:01 UTC 2007

I've been noticing increasing load problems after deploying the latest
KForge release and its got to the point where the apache server requires
a daily reboot. After investigating it looks like a (mild) memory leak
which starts to cause load problems after half a day or more of heavy
usage. After a bit of investigation I believe this relates to one of
bugs mentioned on:

http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2005-July/018617.html

Specifically i think it may be the second related to the use of
PythonOption ((I'm using Debian stable whose libapache2-mod-python is v.
3.1.4):

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-60

(This has only cropped now I think because kforge 0.12 produces
substantially more cases of PythonOption directives compared to kforge
0.11 and knowledgeforge.net is now handling heavier loads).

The obvious solution here is to upgrade modpython to >= v3.2.7 (3.2.10
is available in testing and unstable on debian). I haven't yet tried
this because the upgrade on Debian at least result in dependency cascade
resulting in the upgrade of a significant portion of the system. However
I plan to try this soon and once I do I'll let the list know how it
turns out.

Regards,

Rufus