[kforge-dev] Possible memory leak problem related to modpython

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jan 26 10:43:47 UTC 2007

John Bywater wrote:
> Rufus Pollock wrote:
[snip]
>> The obvious solution here is to upgrade modpython to >= v3.2.7 (3.2.10
>> is available in testing and unstable on debian). I haven't yet tried
>> this because the upgrade on Debian at least result in dependency
>> cascade resulting in the upgrade of a significant portion of the
>> system. However I plan to try this soon and once I do I'll let the
>> list know how it turns out.
>

> I recommend you don't do that, because you will end up without a stable
> Debian system. You always want to use stable Debian for a production
> server, for several reasons.

Yes, though in this case given how close Debian (supposedly) is to
testing becoming the new stable I don't think it would that problematic.
However in general i completely agree with you.

> Instead, I recommend building your own Apache binary, then building
> mod_python (and the other modules needed by KForge), against that.

That is what I have done, though I haven't built apache just a new
mod-python. Seems to have improved things somewhat but not entirely. To
be honest it may just be that the server is heavily loaded --
knowledgeforge is getting increasing usage etc etc.

> This begins the application service provision story, but isn't the whole
> story.
>
> In the meantime, why not regularly restart your apache from a cron job?

I've been doing that.

Regards,

Rufus