[kforge-dev] kforge download page

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jul 20 09:00:06 UTC 2007

John Bywater wrote:
> The kforge project download page is still reporting the latest kforge
> release as 0.11. It also has a link to kforge-stable.tar.gz.

Good bugspot.

> Perhaps the -stable name is to make the download page revision-invariant?

Yes it is and is correctly pointing to kforge-0.12 (i updated that
correctly but must have missed the kforge-0.11 on the page at the last
release point).

> If so, I propose we actively maintain this page so that it reports the
> latest stable version, link to the latest stable version, link to the
> directory of all releases (as we do), drop the stable name, and review.

We should definitely actively maintain the page (and I think I did
update at the last release but must have missed the 0.11 item). In any
case I did update the stable symlink to point at 0.12 so that is ok.

> So, perhaps our release script is looking something like this:
>
> 1. develop software test-first, test
> 2. release package to directory, test
> 3. update download page, test
> 4. notify cheeseshop, test
> 5. write project blog
>
> Is this about right?

Looks good. The only thing I would add is that in the past we have an
extra step:

2b: Upgrade demo.kforgeproject.com (and perhaps knowledgeforge.net) with
the new version and run for a 2 days/a week for beta testing before
doing official release.

Under 5 I would also add notification of other relevant sites (e.g.
Freshmeat etc).

~rufus