[kforge-dev] Changeset [1248]: [test][m]: add in kforge-test-nose script to run tests using nose. * As …

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net
Wed May 21 11:11:59 UTC 2008

KForge: Timeline wrote:
> [test][m]: add in kforge-test-nose script to run tests using nose.
>
>   * As nosetests just pulls in all tests put in disable on tests we do not want to run normally (in particular tests that required command line interaction).
>   * NB: still running quite a few test we probably do not want to run by default but none that actually break automated testing in the way that cli stuff does.

I'm reluctant to complain about change simply because of the commit time
(3am+) ;-)

How can I put this? :-)

I'm not opposed to nosetests, as such. I'm sure it makes some people happy.

However, as already expressed, I am opposed to: nosetests + KForge.

1. We are focussing on releasing KForge 1.0. We are focussing on
*stablising* things. There are other, much greater priorities, such as
picking up the Debian package, which should receive attention first.

2. KForge hasn't been developed with nosetests and therefore switching
test harness framework is objectively destablising, and therefore
technically foolish; nosetests doesn't appear to respect the OO
traditions, of which unit testing suites is one aspect, and there isn't
considered by me to compatible with the KForge project.

3. I already raised an objection regarding this, in writing and in
person. To go ahead with something I don't agree with is to go ahead
without me, in other words here to go ahead on your own, or in yet more
words inevitably to fork this project. I don't really mind if you want
to fork KForge, but it would unfortunate.

4. The test suite/framework/runner isn't broken. So why "fix" it?

Don't you want to play ball?

J.