[kforge-dev] [knowledgeforge-user] Issues with svn and knowledgeforge

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net
Tue Mar 10 20:24:52 UTC 2009

Hi Rufus,

Having looked at this all day, one thing to try is disabling PHP. :-)
# rm /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/php5.load
# /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Then, try to commit an added file to the repository? Does it work?

If on a production box, do remember to enable PHP again.
# cd /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/
# ln -s ../mods-available/php5.load

It might be due to problem in Debian with the md5 library.
"Python MD5 Hash Module Conflict"
http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/ApplicationIssues

If the digest routine we use fails in "strange ways", the KForge access
controller might authenticate some times and screw up other times,
effectively change the assumed user, and inspire the "multi-user commits
not supported" error. I wasn't able to generate that error, but
nevertheless I couldn't commit successfully with PHP enabled for just
this reason. However, my machine was repeatedly broken: the md5 library
consistently failed to return the correct value when called from KForge
loaded in Apache with mod_php enabled.

If this is the trouble, we could either switch from MD5 to SHA1 in
dm/dom/person.py of domainmodel-0.6 (and cause a password migration
challenge for existing services), or advise reverse proxying PHP
applications (which seems rather dull), or think of something else.

Please let me know whether or not this works? Bet it doesn't. ;-) But if
not, I'll have to work a bit harder to replicate the bug, because I can
consistently commit a new file to a KForge 0.16 SVN service running on
Debian Etch with SVN 1.5.1 as Debian modules 'subversion' and
'libapache2-svn' from etch-backports.

Best wishes,

John.