[kforge-user] Re: Missing MoinMoin Service

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Feb 2 11:33:02 UTC 2007

tyju tiui wrote:
> Alright I think I got it.
>
> I modified the /etc/moin config files to point to a relative data_dir
> ('./data/') and to an absolute underlay_dir
> ('/usr/share/moin/underlay'). Then it was complaining about a missing
> dictionary file ==> 'apt-get install wamerican-large' fixed this.
>
> This makes it work for certain, but it looks like crap and my error logs
> are filling up quickly. Upon further inspection I found that moin was
> expecting a wiki directory under the projects folder. I symlinked wiki
> to /usr/share/moin/htdocs and suddenly everything looks much nicer now.
>
> This was a pain and it took a long time for me to figure out.
> I think it would be a very good idea to add this info to the documentation.

Good point Ty. I think this kind of information should probably be added
to comments at the top of the moin plugin file. Perhaps something
similar to what we have in the wordpress plugin file would be appropriate:

<http://project.knowledgeforge.net/kforge/svn/tags/kforge-0.12/src/kforge/plugin/wordpress.py>

One reason we've been reluctant to do this too much so far is that
everyone's installation of things like moinmoin seems to be a bit
different but we should make clear exactly what KForge requires
(basically we try and just replicate the moinmoin instructions for
creating your own wiki but in code).

> Also, it might be a lot of work, but some sort of package with
> dependency management would be awesome for this project (I'm thinking a
> .deb or possibly an .rpm). I know this would take some work, but it
> would save users a huge amount of time and it would probably save you
> time as well (so you wouldn't have to answer so many silly question from
> people like me :-)

I quite agree -- though again one issue is that not everyone wants all
of the plugins. Some people just want subversion and trac, some people
might just want wordpress and moinmoin. One of our aims has been to keep
the core as limited as possible and leave it up to the admin to decide
what plugins he wants to have. Nevertheless having a deb even for the
base distribution would be *really* useful (and one could obvious have
separate core and full package where the full package provides all the
plugins)

> As my contribution to this project I'd like to try and create at least a
> .deb package. I have never done such a thing, but I think it is the most
> useful thing I might be able to contribute. My question then is - where
> should I submit the package once it is done and tested? Will you host it
> along with the base kforge package?

This is fantastic Ty. We'd obviously be very happy to host the deb
package but one should also try submitting it into the main debian
package repository.

Regards,

Rufus