[kforge-user] svnadmin: Can't open file '/root/.subversion/servers'

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Feb 12 14:59:31 UTC 2007

[snip
>      > Do you know why svnadmin tries to grab settings from /root ? I
>     run the
>      > httpd as user apache. I've verified all permissions and the folder
>
>     As you say it seems to be trying to grab settings from root. Can you
>     try
>     running svnadmin as your httpd user (e.g. something like sudo -u httpd
>     svnadmin ...) and see what happens.
>

> Yes, I get the same error: svnadmin: Can't open file
> '/root/.subversion/servers': Permission denied
> During my "googling" I found a solution which basically changed the
> owner of /root to <web-user>, but I certianly don't want to do that..
> :-)  We run Red Hat Enterprise - do you know any differences between
> this and Debian that might affect the behavior?
>
>      > /home/kforge/project_data/testing/svn/12 is created.

Have you seen:

http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2004-12/0498.shtml

In particular:

<quote>
If you create configuration files outside the /etc directory which
mod_dav_svn or apache httpd needs to read you must change the security
context type to etc_t with the command 'chcon -t etc_t <file path>'
</quote>

I know this is about FC3 but assume there might be similar issues with
current RHEL. Also, don't think giving httpd appropriate read
permissions on /root/.subversion is that dangerous (just don't give
permissions on /root generally!)

Regards,

Rufus