[kforge-dev] Re: [kforge-user] Newbie here - howto config using sqlite?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Jan 17 16:34:22 UTC 2007

Neal Becker wrote:
>> PS: in another email you were talking about support for hg repositories.
>> I have to say I hadn't looked at hg much until you mentioned it. As I
>> understand it is a decentralized VCS. As I understand it (and I don't
>> know a lot about these types of VCS) everyone has their own repository.
>> If that how does the access control/project membership stuff provided by
>> KForge help you out? Pardon my ignorance here but I'd be very interested
>> to know -- and it would obviously provide some motivation for
>> implementing that support.
>
> You raise an interesting question here.  I believe that the mercurial (hg)
> experts could answer this better than myself, so I hope you don't mind that
> I'm forwarding this question to hg-devel list (which I access via gmane
> nntp).
>
> BTW, do I understand correctly that kforge is similar to 'trac'? (which
> already has some support for hg)

Yes and no. KForge aims to provide something quite similar to
GForge/Sourceforge. That is it is a platform for hosting multiple
projects where there might be overlap of membership between the
individual projects. One thing that differentiates our efforts from, say
GForge, is an emphasis on reusing existing tools and trying to keep our
code to the minimum level of glue needed to get them to work together.

To illustrate imagine you need to host several different projects
(perhaps with overlapping memberships). Furthermore each project would
like to have:

   * A repository (svn say)
   * A bug tracker (trac say)
   * A wiki (trac or moinmoin say)
   * A blog (wordpress say)

Then for each project you need to set up each of these pieces of
software along with necessary permissions for each project. The aim of
KForge was to make this simpler by providing a mechanism for people to
create their own projects, add members and create various services (a
trac installation, a subversion repository etc) for their project (all
from a web interface).

So to answer your question about trac the simple answer is No in that we
actually *use* trac and don't provide any bug tracking or wiki
facilities in KForge itself. Instead those facilities are provided by
one of the plugins which allow you to create a trac installation or a
moinmoin wiki or a ... for your KForge project.

Regards,

Rufus