[kforge-user] Trouble with Apache settings

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Jan 23 14:47:00 UTC 2007

tyju tiui wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I tried changing the domain name and adding an entry to my hosts file
> but got the same result.
> I also created the /var/www/kforge/media dir and symlinked the
> /var/www/kforge/project to the kforge www/project dir. Apache doesn't
> bark about missing doc root anymore, but it's still not quite working.
 >
> I'm not sure what's going on here, but I have a feeling it has something
> to do with the apache warnings I get when I restart manually:
>
> [Mon Jan 22 10:33:08 2007] [warn] _default_ VirtualHost overlap on port
> 443, the first has precedence
> [Mon Jan 22 10:33:08 2007] [warn] _default_ VirtualHost overlap on port
> 80, the first has precedence
> [Mon Jan 22 10:33:08 2007] [warn] _default_ VirtualHost overlap on port
> 443, the first has precedence
> [Mon Jan 22 10:33:08 2007] [warn] _default_ VirtualHost overlap on port
> 80, the first has precedence
> [Mon Jan 22 10:33:10 2007] [warn] _default_ VirtualHost overlap on port
> 443, the first has precedence
> [Mon Jan 22 10:33:10 2007] [warn] _default_ VirtualHost overlap on port
> 80, the first has precedence
> [Mon Jan 22 10:33:10 2007] [warn] _default_ VirtualHost overlap on port
> 443, the first has precedence
> [Mon Jan 22 10:33:10 2007] [warn] _default_ VirtualHost overlap on port
> 80, the first has precedence

KForge is set up to use named virtual hosts. This is a feature of Apache
whereby you can run multiple websites with different domain names all on
the same ip address. Taking a look at the KForge auto-generated http
configuration you should see something like:

<VirtualHost *:80>

</VirtualHost>

NB: if you changed ip_address in your kforge.conf file you will see that
value instead of *.

Now for this to work you will need somewhere in your basic apache config
the line:

NameVirtualHost *:80
NameVirtulaHost *:443

The error you are getting suggests this may not have been set up
correctly so I'd suggest checking to ensure this is in the apache config
somewhere where it is loaded before the kforge configuration.

[snip]

Regards,

Rufus