[kforge-user] Dependency problems installing 0.14

Martin Fuzzey mfuzzey at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 11:31:39 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm trying to install kForge 0.14 on Debian Etch and am running into
dependency problem.. First I get :

error: Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('Routes>=
1.6,<=1.7')

Indeed the current (and only) version of routes on PyPi is 1.7.1. So I
changed the setup.py script to allow 1.7.1 (not sure if this is OK) and
tried again which gave :

error: Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse
('SQLObject>=0.6,<=0.7.99')

Pypi currently has 0.87, 0.93 and 0.10b2 versions of SQLObject...

Fortunately debian etch contains the python-sqlobject (version 0.7.1) so I
aptitude installed it.

That made setup.py work correctly, however kforge-admin data create gave
ImportError: No module named mx.DateTime

So install the python-egenix-mxdatetime package and try again. => OK

Next step  (kforge-admin db init)

ImportError: No module named Image

Oops:
aptitude install python-imaging and try again
Exception: Could not connect to database: No module named psycopg

aptitude install python-psycopg and try again

Ok database up

So I've finally got it running but it wasn't exactly painless.

Problems seem to be :
1) Some dependencies correctly specified by kforge non longer exist in Pypi
(Routes, SQLObject)
2) Some dependencies required by kforge are not specified (either in meta
data or the docs) (mxdatetime, PIL, psycopg)

Problem 1) worries me more as it is outside of kforge's contrrol - how do
you depend on a volatile archive you don't control?

I think it would be better to have proper debian packages - there was some
talk of this
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/kforge-user/2007-February/000077.html
Is there any progress on this?

The very outdated SQLObject dependency worries me too - I was lucky that
etch has an old version - ubunty gutsy is at 0.9.0 for instance
Can anyone tell me why such an old version is required??

At my workplace we are evaluating kforge and if we decide to go with it I
will certainly build a debian package for it which I would be happy to
contribute.
I do have some experience with debian packaging but I'm not a DD...

Regards,

Martin Fuzzey