[kforge-user] Dependency problems installing 0.14

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net
Thu Feb 21 10:44:08 UTC 2008

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your interest in KForge. Sorry it wasn't easy.

Martin Fuzzey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to install kForge 0.14 on Debian Etch and am running into
> dependency problem.. First I get :
>
> error: Could not find suitable distribution for
> Requirement.parse('Routes>=1.6,<=1.7')
>
> Indeed the current (and only) version of routes on PyPi is 1.7.1. So I
> changed the setup.py script to allow 1.7.1 (not sure if this is OK)
> and tried again which gave :
>
> error: Could not find suitable distribution for
> Requirement.parse('SQLObject>=0.6,<=0.7.99')
>
> Pypi currently has 0.87, 0.93 and 0.10b2 versions of SQLObject...
>
> Fortunately debian etch contains the python-sqlobject (version 0.7.1)
> so I aptitude installed it.
>
> That made setup.py work correctly, however kforge-admin data create
> gave ImportError: No module named mx.DateTime
>
> So install the python-egenix-mxdatetime package and try again. => OK
>
> Next step  (kforge-admin db init)
>
> ImportError: No module named Image
>
> Oops:
> aptitude install python-imaging and try again
> Exception: Could not connect to database: No module named psycopg
>
> aptitude install python-psycopg and try again
>
> Ok database up
>
> So I've finally got it running but it wasn't exactly painless.
>
> Problems seem to be :
> 1) Some dependencies correctly specified by kforge non longer exist in
> Pypi (Routes, SQLObject)
> 2) Some dependencies required by kforge are not specified (either in
> meta data or the docs) (mxdatetime, PIL, psycopg)

Yes, thanks for pointing this out.

> Problem 1) worries me more as it is outside of kforge's contrrol - how
> do you depend on a volatile archive you don't control?

I've got no idea!? Run tests daily to see whether third party
dependencies still exist?

> I think it would be better to have proper debian packages - there was
> some talk of this
> http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/kforge-user/2007-February/000077.html
> Is there any progress on this?

Sadly, not....

> The very outdated SQLObject dependency worries me too - I was lucky
> that etch has an old version - ubunty gutsy is at 0.9.0 for instance
> Can anyone tell me why such an old version is required??

It's only a small thing. SQLObject changed the way database names are
constructed, particularly the way foreign key names were constructed
changed. The change was not backwards compatible. We just need to fix
the name setting bits of domainmodel.

> At my workplace we are evaluating kforge and if we decide to go with
> it I will certainly build a debian package for it which I would be
> happy to contribute.

That would be wonderful.

> I do have some experience with debian packaging but I'm not a DD...

:-)

Best wishes,

John.