[kforge-user] kforge status ?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Feb 21 16:11:46 UTC 2008

Nicolas Steinmetz wrote:
> Rufus Pollock a écrit :
>
>> 2. KForge itself is pretty stable -- at least in the day-to-day usage
>> of the main developers :) -- and provides most of the services we need.
>
> Some users of my kforge instances had troubles to log in. They could not
> log directly on the service (trac) level. They had to go on root level
> of kforge instance and then go up to their service. I did not dive into
> this issue at this time (due to lack of time), so I quicly moved to a
> vanillia trac instance.

That is exactly how KForge is supposed to work! You log in to KForge to
log in to trac (and trac automatically picks up your kforge log in).
That way once you are user on the Kforge project you get access to trac.

>> Sure. If you just want svn/hg + trac for one or two projects that can
>> be a good way to go. If you want a system that will do more (e.g.
>> support of multiple projects, support of moinmoin, wordpress etc as
>> well) then KForge may be for you :)
>
> Right, I do not need moinmoin or wordpress at all so I less need kforge
> than I could think at the beginning.
>
>> On a final point we'd love to move to a completely wsgi based setup
>> (and we've been experimenting on-and-off for over a year with wsgi
>> front-controller setups) but so far mod-python has been the only way
>> to do transparent authentication and authorisation for things like
>> subversion. If you know of some good way to do wsgi proxying to things
>> like svn repositories *please* let us know.
>
> I did not try but it looks that mod_wsgi 2.0 will be able to do that :
> <http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/ChangesInVersion0200>

That seems like modwsgi now provides authentication hooks (but not
authorization) similar to mod-python. However there doesn't seem to be
anything in there that relates to the proxying issue which was really
the obstacle to doing the simple all-in-one front-controller I was
talking about -- i.e. something that would avoid using apache for
authentication and dispatch and moving it all inside your python
controller. But thanks for the pointer.

~rufus