[kforge-user] Error installing KForge on Ubuntu 9.04

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net
Sat Nov 14 22:26:14 UTC 2009

Hi John,

John wrote:
> A little followup; apparently the Egenix package depends on the python-dev
> package, after installing that one I could simply use the installer script,
> which is quite some progress.

That's great to hear. Do you think we should change the Install Guide
(to mention both gcc and python-dev)?

> While I can almost see it running, there is still one, hopefully last, error
> when trying to load the webapp, http://pastebin.com/f6319ebf8 .
> Basically it's a "Exception: Duplicate feature: 'SystemDictionary'", which
> sadly doesn't ring too many of Google's bells, I'm hoping you've got some
> final suggestion on how to solve this!

The "Exception: Duplicate feature: 'SystemDictionary'" is a KForge error
that arises when Apache/mod_python is having trouble with the KForge
code. (KForge is trying to register the system dictionary feature with
the application, but the system dictionary feature is already
registered. This seems to be the affect of mod_python trying to reload
the code, having trouble, and then carrying on. It would be nicer if
mod_python would return the same error each time but it doesn't,
probably for some good reason.)

Try restarting Apache, then reloading the page. If there's a problem,
you may see a previous error in the Apache error log. There might also
be some information in the kforge.log.

It could be something to do with running KForge with Python 2.6, or
permissions on the log file, or any number of things. Anyway, restart,
reload, and catch the first error.

Best wishes,

John.