[kforge-user] Requesting to Join a Project in KForge

Eitan Marder-Eppstein eitan at willowgarage.com
Thu Dec 16 00:45:54 UTC 2010

John,

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 4:34 PM, John Bywater <
john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net> wrote:

> Hey Eitan,
>
> Many thanks for writing to the list about this...

Thanks for the quick reply.

> Eitan Marder-Eppstein wrote:
>
>> Hey there,
>>
>> I'm looking at using KForge as an alternative to something like
>> FusionForge
>> or GForge and, so far, really like it. Things are just a lot
>> simpler/cleaner. I do, however, have a question that I hope someone on
>> this
>> list might be able to answer. I should also say that I'm using KForge
>> version 0.18.
>>
>> I'm wondering whether there is a way to be notified as a project
>> administrator when someone wants to join your project. I poked around a
>> bit
>> and couldn't seem to find any sort of "Request to Join" button like I'm
>> used
>> to seeing on the other Forges. I did find a "Join Project" link at the top
>> of the home page for a user, but as far as I can tell, it just takes you
>> the project list. Am I just overlooking something or is there no way to
>> request to join a project?
>>
>> If the feature doesn't exist, I suppose I could write a service plugin to
>> add it... or perhaps one exists already?
>>

> Unfortunately this feature doesn't exist yet, and it would be great a thing
> to have. If you'd like to contribute some code, that would be amazing!

> We probably wouldn't need to create a new service plugin. We would need a
> button on the project "read" page for non-members of the project, and
> something to send the emails.
>
> It might also be useful for project admins to see when people have asked to
> join on the project page, and for site users to see which projects they have
> already requested membership (on their user page, and also on the project
> page).
>
> Then we'd probably also want to create an option for admins to reject to
> requests. The option to accept the request could be simply be a link to the
> "create member" page (initialised for that user).
>
> Is that the sort of thing you're looking for?

This is definitely the sort of feature that I'm looking for and, since its
not there, I think it might be fun to just dig into the code a little bit
and implement it. One thing I'm wondering, however, is about sending
e-mails. Right now, it seems like KForge doesn't have a dependency on a
working mail server (unless you count the mailman plugin), but this would
require one. Is that something that you'd be OK with? I guess we could
always have a setting in the config file that asks whether or not to send
mail and what command to use and then just let the user decide. As a first
cut, maybe I'll just make sure that there's a page where project
administrators can view pending project requests and decide to accept or
reject them. Then, as a second step, I'll come back and add e-mail support
for all of this. Does that sound like a reasonable approach?

Thanks again,

Eitan